What is Cosplay Active?
Are you a step above the Cosplay Parade but not quite ready for the Championships of Cosplay? Cosplay Active is Oz Comic-Cons competition for mainstream competitors. This event is perfect for you to showcase your crafting talents or perform a skit and bring along the PLAY part of cosplay!
Cosplay Active is open to solo and group applications wishing to participate and will need to sign up online in order to participate. Entries close the Sunday the week before the show however can close earlier if all of the available places are filled before the deadline (So get in quick to secure your spot!). Due to the limited number of spots available there will be no on-the-day sign-ups or additions taken.
This event will take place on the Saturday of Oz Comic-Con. If you have any questions about the event please contact Michelle.
What can I expect?
In this competition you can perform a skit (optional) or you can just go up and talk to the MC about the costume you have made. You may be given some extra points if you stay in character while answering questions!
Any audio required for your skit will need to be submitted online at least 1 week prior to the event. If you cannot submit the audio in your application please e-mail Michelle. On the day of Oz Comic-Con you will be required to sign in at the cosplay registration desk (located at Cosplay Central) before 12:00PM to confirm your attendance in the competition. You will also be required for marshalling at least 30 minutes prior to the event start.
- Skits are optional for anyone participating in the competition. The skit cannot exceed three (3) minutes in length and will be cut off if it goes any longer. These skits need to follow our general guidelines and if not followed will lead to disqualification from the competition. These include:
- Keep the skit PG – we are a family event
- No acrobatics on stage – no matter how amazing
- No water, sparkles, rose petals or other materials that could be considered a slipping/clean-up hazard – what you take on stage needs to come off stage at the end of your performance.
- Any special effects or props you wish to use on stage must be pre-approved by OZ Comic-Con staff prior to your performance (include this in your ‘skit description’)
- If you wish to have any ‘background music’ or other audio played on stage during your performance you need to inform us prior to the event and supply the music at least 1 week before the event. We will not accept music on the day.
- No profanity, slander, swearing or any language/comments that could be deemed inappropriate by Oz Comic-con Staff. This includes messages on signs or clothes. No political or religious statements are allowed on stage or during judging.
- Costumes cannot promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message;
- Costumes cannot be obscene or offensive, endorse any form of hate or hate group;
- Costume cannot defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about Oz Comic-Con or its products, or other people, exhibitors or companies
- No nudity. All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show. Gore, graphic violence or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification as determined by the judges or Oz Comic-Con Staff
- Bought Costumes are permitted however you will only be eligible for the “Best Skit” award.
- Any costumes you have worn that have won awards at any events will not be eligible for any prizes.
- If you intend on entering the Championship of Cosplay you must wear a different costume for Cosplay Active.
At each show there are four(4) prizes to be won in the cosplay active event. These are for best group ($100 Visa Card), Best Skit ($50 Visa Card), Best Costume ($50 Visa Card) and Best Overall ($150 Visa Card). If you haven’t made your costume you will only be eligible for the best skit category.